Three years training with a CA firm is a big decision in the life of a student who wants to get the first hand exposure of the CA profession. A student is quite puzzled in deciding the choice of the firm. He needs guidance and wise counsel because it involves a substantial period of training in his formative period of his career. The decision points in the selection of the audit firm needs certain introspection on the following lines :
- Variety of experiences like audits ( statutory, internal, management, secretarial)
- Knowledge of the regulatory compliances like income tax, company law, service tax etc.
- Size of the firm, middle or large determines the existence of the various departments for exposure in to multiple level of the experiences.
- Local travels, outstation audits visits to different cities, states and even overseas is also needs to be found, checked and analyzed.
- Leave for the study during the article ship period needs to be analyzed.
- Absorption possibility in the future after qualification is also an important basis for the choice.
- Location of the firm in a metro, mid- size city is required to be checked because sometimes living experience in such cities allow a person to face the world with more confidence.
- Working in a large firm gives you a brand image and less interaction with the partner but more interaction with audit manager. Effective training allows a student to enhance working skills.
- Exposure in a smaller firm allows you to directly work with partner in the areas of accounts, audit, taxation and compliance issues.